Subscribe to my Crafty newsletter

https://www.artsybohemian.com/

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

time...



Kits...soldering class

Hi!
Well it has been a whirl wind of a past week or so. Do you ever think, "why didn't I look at my calendar before I said yes?" 4 classes in one week, tons of prep and kits....what was I thinking? My first priority is my family, our business, home....domestic caca. I have too many irons in the fire. I gotta stop saying yes, I can do that! Most moms are super women (heros) but not compensated for their efforts...last year on NPR (National Public Radio) I heard a study was done on "house wives". Their study concluded that if domestic work and child rearing were a real job they would be paid $144 grand a year. So now what about the women that do that AND have one or more home based businesses or work outside the home AND keep up with all the domestic duties? I'm not talking about the women who have nannies and housekeepers either. And I'm not knocking those that do because I understand why.

I have been letting myself take more workshops. I love taking classes and learning new techniques. Yesterday I drove down to Encinitas to The Black Sheep and took a class with the infamous Barbara Chapman. First of all I fell in love with Encinitas which is North of San Diego,Ca. It's a quaint authentic beach town with several blocks of good old American small businesses, beach style, no chains. The Black Sheep is a fabulous yarn and textile establishment that's been in business for 30 years? I have been wanting to take a class with Barbara for a long time. She taught a class on her version of papier mache with fabric, paper and the stuff used for casts. Great surface techinques. I loved it. Pictures above (not great) of some samples.

10 comments:

Sending An Angel said...

Oh wow it looks like it is shimmering! You are so lucky to learn such a technique! I have to teach myself everything, for once I wish I just had a little bit of time to take a class.lol Thank you for stopping by today!

Cyndi Mahlstadt said...

It all looks so yummy! I wish I could have joined you at the Black Sheep. Thanks for the invite, I appreciate you thinking of me. I also have too many irons in the fire. Funny how that sneaks up on ya! Lots of hugs! Hope to see you soon!

Unknown said...

Did someone say "soldering class"!? When!? Where!? How!? :)

Gaby Bee said...

I wish I lived closer...I have to teach myself everything :-(

Best to you,
Gaby

Sandy said...

Hi, Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hi. I was just on your blog yesterday looking at all your pretty things. Love your jewelry!

Gossamer Creations said...

Hi,
YOU HAVE BEEN TAGGED !!
Check out my blog to see what to do.
~Sue~

Mary lin Huskamp said...

That looks like great fun! and is so beautiful!!

Domestic engineers should get no less than $500K year! Held that occupation several years and boy, what work!

oxoxox

Sherry Goodloe said...

I've been bamboozled! Where's my $144,000 a year?! Or at the least, someone to do my housework!

Oooooooooh, the colors in the "papier mache" you made . . . love them.

Sending An Angel said...

I have a surprise! I have a free design for every one!

Unknown said...

CAme by for a visit and have been just hanging around listening to your music :) love it....I'm taking flamenco dance classes at the moment....